Tuesday, January 18, 2011

morning leisure

Is this bike culture?

I'm pleased to say that I discovered the problem that I was having with my shifting. I haven't completely solved it but I have found a way to deal with it. I had water in my shift housing right at the hub. It was creating enough friction to keep things from working properly. My friend Joe suggested that I hang the bike from the front tire (the way that I have always kept my bike until I borrowed my other friend's bike stand). While doing this, after disconnecting the cable from the hub, I saw quite a bit of water drops run down the cable. I let it hang in the basement over night. This morning when I headed out everything seemed fine. I waited for the cold to take effect before I jumped to conclusion. Nothing! It was working flawlessly.

To celebrate, I decided to stop for some coffee. I saw a chance to snap this picture and thought it was cool. Hot & Cold.

My ride home tonight was another exercise in flawless shifting. I am so happy. Too bad I had a few issues with it on my Century. Anyways, now I know what needs to happen and I will be taking care of it soon. In the meantime, I am leaving well enough alone and hanging the bike overnight.

No comments: